Frequently Asked Questions – Doctrine
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod answers frequently asked questions about doctrine.
- What is the Lutheran view of Baptism and its purpose?
- Does Baptism save?
- Who can be godparents/sponsors?
- How does faith play a role in infant Baptism?
- What is the history of infant Baptism?
- What about infants who die before being baptized?
- Why do Lutherans use the “sprinkle” method for Baptism?
- Do I have to be re-baptized to join the LCMS?
- Does the LCMS baptize children of unchurched parents?
- Why do Lutheran baptize infants?
- What if I was baptized in the Worldwide Church of God when they were considered a cult?
- Why do bad things happen to good people?
- Will God forgive me of my sins if I haven’t forgiven others?
- Could you help me to understand repentance?
- How does a person know if he or she has sinned against the Holy Spirit?
Heaven and Hell
- What happens to people who have not heard the Gospel?
- What’s the LCMS view on the Left Behind series of books?
- Are there degrees or levels in heaven or hell?
- Does the LCMS believe in the rapture?
- Can you sin in heaven?
- What happens when people die?
- Are my family members with God, or are they asleep until the end of the world?
- On what should we base our assurance of salvation?
- If God already predetermined who was saved, what is the point of witnessing?
- If we do good, will we be saved?
- Do believers have eternal assurance?
- Could you help me to understand faith and good works?
- What does the LCMS believe regarding man's freedom of will?
- Did God choose everyone to be saved before the foundation of the world, and therefore it is man’s choice whether he will accept God’s saving grace?
- If a Christian is already saved, should he or she do good works?
- Do we have to try to amend our life in order to be saved?
- Can you lose your salvation?
- Would you explain “predestined” in Romans 8 and Ephesians 1?
The Creeds and Prayers
- Who wrote the common table prayer?
- Why is “descended into hell” not in the Nicene Creed?
- Where in the Bible does it say Jesus descended into hell?
- Can you explain why Jesus had to descend into hell?
- Is it correct theology to say Jesus is God or God is Jesus?
- To whom shall we pray?
The Lord’s Supper/Holy Communion
- Do we commune with the sacrificed or resurrected body and blood?
- Can a person use wheat and gluten-free Communion wafers as an option?
- Are only LCMS members able to commune at an LCMS church?
- Who may take Communion to the sick and/or shut-ins?
- What does the LCMS teach regarding who may partake in Communion?
- What is the LCMS position on early Communion?
- Where in the Bible does it say Christ’s body and blood are present at Communion?
- Can I get sick from using the Common Cup?
- May women serve Communion?
- What is the history of close[d] Communion?
- What are the prescribed means for the disposal of the consecrated wine and wafers?
Usage: Congregational use of FAQs does not require permission of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. However, each reproduction should credit the LCMS as the source and include a link to the corresponding webpage.